Four light stations were established on Maine’s Kennebec River in 1898, on the approach to the busy shipbuilding center of Bath. The keeper’s house at one of the stations, Doubling Point, was sold to a private owner in 1935. The house has been owned for many years by Jim and Joyce Spencer, who also spearheaded the formation of the nonprofit Friends of Doubling Point Light in the late 1990s.
In 1982, Coast Guard first class boatswain’s mate Karen McLean became the officer in charge at the Kennebec River Range Lights Station (also known as the Doubling Point Range Lights). In that position, she was also in charge of the light stations at Squirrel Point and Doubling Point. She was one of the first women and the last female to become officer-in-charge of a Coast Guard family light station. In early 1987, Karen’s husband, Lt. Dan McLean, took charge of the station. Karen and Dan have now stepped into lead roles for the Friends of Doubling Point Light.
This is part two of a two-part interview with Jim and Joyce Spencer along with Karen and Dan McLean. Bob Trapani, Jr., executive director of the American Lighthouse Foundation, co-hosts.
Jeremy D’Entremont is the author of more than 20 books and hundreds of articles on lighthouses and maritime history. He is the president and historian for the American Lighthouse Foundation and founder of Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouses, and he has lectured and narrated cruises throughout the Northeast and in other regions. He is also the producer and host of the U.S. Lighthouse Society podcast, “Light Hearted.” He can be emailed at Jeremy@uslhs.org