Light Hearted

Light Hearted ep 37 – Bruce Williams and Phil Blagys; Bridgeport, CT, and Black Rock Harbor Lighthouse

Black Rock Harbor (Fayerweather Island) Lighthouse in September 2019. Photo by Jeremy D’Entremont.

With its harbor at the mouth of the Pequonnock River, Bridgeport, Connecticut, became a center of trade, shipbuilding, and whaling. This episode of Light Hearted features two interviews related to the history of lighthouses in the vicinity of Bridgeport, with Bruce Williams and Phil Blagys.

Bridgeport Harbor Lighthouse, destroyed by fire in 1953.
National Archives image 26-LG-11-22.

Captain’s Cove Seaport is a major attraction in Bridgeport, with a marina, restaurant, bar, fishing charters, and more. Bruce Williams is the son of Kaye Williams, founder of Captain’s Cove Seaport. Bruce is also a historian of the local area and the co-author of the book Bridgeport on the Sound.

Light Hearted host Jeremy D’Entremont with Phil Blagys on Fayerweather Island in September 2019.

Bridgeport’s Black Rock Harbor is sheltered by Fayerweather Island, which made the island an ideal place for a lighthouse to mark the harbor entrance. The island’s longtime nineteenth century keeper, Kate Moore, was credited with saving at least 21 lives. The lighthouse received a recent facelift thanks to the efforts of the City of Bridgeport and the Black Rock Community Council. Phil Blagys is a past president of the Black Rock Community Council and chair of the Black Rock Community Council History Program.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *