Episode 66 – Kinnaird Head Lighthouse is in Fraserburgh, a town in Aberdeenshire in northeastern Scotland. The old lighthouse keeper’s house and other buildings are now home to the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses. The museum tells the story of the Northern Lighthouse Board, the engineers who built the lights and the keepers who tended them. Lynda McGuigan is the museum manager, and Michael Strachan is the collections manager and also a published historian.
Episode 67 – The lighthouse on Maine’s Seguin Island was approved by President George Washington in May 1793. The tower had to be rebuilt in 1819, and then again in 1857. Concerned local citizens founded the Friends of Seguin Island Light Station in 1986. Since 1990, caretakers have lived at Seguin in the summer. Cyndy Carney has been with Friends of Seguin Island Light Station for over 20 years. She has served in many capacities and now serves in the role of Executive Director.
Episode 68 – Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse is about halfway between Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton on the southeast coast of Florida, marking the northern limit of the Florida Reef, the third largest coral barrier reef system in the world. The skeletal lighthouse was constructed in 1907, with a second-order Fresnel lens. The Hillsboro Lighthouse Preservation Society was formed in 1997. A museum and information center was opened in 2012. Ralph Krugler is the historian for the Hillsboro Lighthouse Preservation Society. He has spent several years researching the history of the light station, its keepers, and related subjects. This part 1 of 2.
Episode 69 –This is part two of a two-part interview with Ralph Krugler, historian for the Hillsboro Lighthouse Preservation Society. Ralph is not only one of the most knowledgeable people about Florida lighthouses, but he also has been helping with the ongoing creation of the J. Candace Clifford Lighthouse Research Catalog for the U.S. Lighthouse Society.
Episode 70 – Pomham Rocks is a tiny island in the Providence River, about 800 feet from the east shore of the Riverside section of East Providence, Rhode Island. The island’s lighthouse went into service on December 1, 1871. The American Lighthouse Foundation now owns the lighthouse, and in recent years a chapter, Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse, has completed much restoration. Dennis Tardiff served as a Coast Guard keeper at Pomham Rocks in the early 1970s, and he is now chairperson of the Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse.
Jeremy D’Entremont is the author of more than 20 books and hundreds of articles on lighthouses and maritime history. He is the president and historian for the American Lighthouse Foundation and founder of Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouses, and he has lectured and narrated cruises throughout the Northeast and in other regions. He is also the producer and host of the U.S. Lighthouse Society podcast, “Light Hearted.” He can be emailed at Jeremy@uslhs.org