Light Hearted

Light Hearted ep 125 – Kirby Eldridge, Boon Island, Maine

Boon Island is located in southern Maine, about six miles from the nearest point of land. The popular writer Celia Thaxter once called the small rocky island “the forlornest place that can be imagined.” It was the scene of many shipwrecks over the years, including the wreck of the British Nottingham Galley in December 1710, an incident that was later the basis of a novel by Kenneth Roberts.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Boon-Island-ME-dateunk-USCGHO-2-1024x835.jpg
Undated view of Boon Island Light Station. (Coast Guard Historian’s Office)

For the safety of local fishermen and coastal trading vessels, a lighthouse replaced an earlier day beacon in 1811. The original wooden tower was only 32 feet tall. The slender granite tower that stands today is 133 feet tall, making it the tallest lighthouse in the New England states. A second-order Fresnel lens in the tower was first lighted on January 1, 1855.

These photos of Boon Island, circa 1978, are courtesy of Kirby Eldridge. The boathouse and peapod boat are on the left, and the keeper’s house is on the right.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is boon-eldridge-2-1-1024x895.jpg
Kirby Eldridge in 1978

The Coast Guard automated the station soon after the keepers’ house was badly damaged in the disastrous Blizzard of 1978. Kirby Eldridge and Leo Berry were the last keepers on the island. After his time in the Coast Guard, Kirby spent about 17 years in the Army, followed by 25 years working as a systems engineer until his recent retirement. He lives today in Georgia.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Boon_Island_Light_21-1024x768.jpg
Bob Trapani, Jr., at the base of Boon Island Lighthouse in 2006. (Courtesy of Bob Trapani, Jr.)

Co-hosting this episode is Bob Trapani, Jr., executive director of the American Lighthouse Foundation. Bob is also a lighthouse technician and he’s had some personal experience with Boon Island.

Below: Left, the demolition of the keeper’s house in 1982. Right: Boon Island Lighthouse in 2007 (photo by Jeremy D’Entremont).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *